Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday is not yet a harpist

Oof. It was an exhausting weekend, and I think it made me sick. Not that it was a bad weekend by any means. The four theatre classes I’ve been teaching this semester had their performances, and they pulled everything together and did really well and I’m very proud of them.

But now I’m sick and it sucks and I don’t want to move, but I hate staying on the couch all day and BLARGH.

With that out of my system, I move on to responses.

It sounds like everyone’s in favor of doing projects/challenges, so let’s tentatively schedule our first one for Week 13? Spend some time this week kicking ideas around, yes? I really like Christina’s idea about sending something around. I also like the idea of doing some kind of photodocumention of our lives – a week in pictures. Something like that. Thoughts?

Alexandra: I love the rings! Simple, elegant, classic. They’re beautiful.

Carlyn: Yay for graduating! Yay for alots! Yay for the look on your face when we announced your honorary membership! I’m so glad no one blabbed to you and that you were genuinely surprised. You deserve it.

Casey: I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather, and I’m sorry that circumstances prevent you from going to the funeral. I can only imagine how hard that must be. I’m glad you got to spend some time with your family, though. As for the riddles, I already knew the answer to number one, and thinking about number two just makes my head hurt. I’m a theatre major for a reason. :P

Christina: Read The Book Thief, read The Book Thief, read The Book Thief!!! . . . [insert the textual equivalent of “I’m sorry. Did I say that out loud?” here]. Also, congrats on graduating, and good luck on grad schools!

And now for my Bucket List.

I picked this theme because so many of us are starting new periods in our lives, and I feel as if much of our focus is on the future. So let’s talk about those things we want to do before we die. Here’s my top ten, in no particular order:

1. Publish at least once. I have so many story ideas, and I know I’m a good writer, and I want to share the stories that I have with other people. I don’t care about becoming a bestseller or making money or winning prizes. I just want to send my stories out in the world to affect other people. In the words of [title of show]: “I’d rather be nine people’s favorite thing than a hundred people’s ninth favorite thing.”

2. See the aurora borealis someplace where it will be spectacular. I’ve seen it from Ohio, just a faint green tinge in the sky, but I’d like to see the night sky alive with brilliant color.

3. Spend a month in England. I spent ten days in London two years ago, and I loved it. I loved the history and the feel and the atmosphere and all of it, but we only saw the city, and I’d like to spend some time in the country.

4. Take a spontaneous roadtrip around the country. Just leave one day without planning it, without worrying about having an agenda, just get in a car and go and see where we end up. I don’t do spontaneity well, so I’d like a reason to get better at it.

5. Learn how to play the harp. It looks like fun. I’d like to learn.

6. Direct 13 the musical. I love this show so much; it’s the perfect show for young adult actors, and it really showcases what they’re capable of and how much they can do.

7. Get John Green, Hank Green, and as many other famous vague-Harry-Potter related people that I can to add annotations to my annotated copy of Deathly Hallows.

8. Spend a summer (at least) working for a Renaissance Faire. I love Ren Faires so much, and I think working at one would be an absolute blast.

9. Be an announcer at the Academy Awards. I harbor a burning desire to say, “And the Oscar goes to . . .”

10.  Be a strong and able wife and mother. As much as I consider myself to be a strong and independent woman, I want to get married and have a family and live out that piece of the so-called “American Dream.” I want a long and happy marriage and I want kids. I love kids, and I want them, at least two. I want a happy family, the kind I had growing up.

So there you have it. Ten of the things I want to accomplish before I die. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment