Friday, April 1, 2011

It's Friday and I'm FREEEEEE!!

Hi Girls! It's Friday, April 1st and I turned in my thesis today!! I feel so relieved and also just... odd. I spent so much time working on it and now it's just done. I won't find out what honors designation I get until April 28, the day before honors graduation. (I could get either honors, high honors, or highest honors.) I'm hoping for high honors, but I'll be very happy with just honors too! I would be extremely surprised if I got highest honors because only a couple people in the department get that every year.

And now onto the main part of the post! I've been trying to come up with stuff that surprises people about me all week and it's been surprisingly hard. I had to resort to asking my friends and they also had difficulty coming up with an answer. I think this shows that I'm a very straightforward person; I don't try to hide stuff and I generally keep stuff out there for people to see. Casey's post yesterday did help me think of a few things though! Like Casey, I have a hidden affinity for the Jonas Brothers... and really all the current Disney Channel stars. I've actually been to three of their concerts and one when Nick was touring with his solo album. It's not a big secret with my friends that I love me some Nick Jonas. It was a bit of a joke when he was still under 18, but now that he's of age they've lost at least that one thing to tease me about! I actually have a few embarrassing music secrets. It's funny that you mentioned Justin Bieber, Casey, because while I wouldn't say I'm a fan of his, I don't mind him. In fact, I actually kind of like him. Well, I'm at least willing to admit that I really like the song "Baby," I don't care what you think- it's a good song! I can feel the judgement already. Last year during finals time I needed some mindless music to just have playing in the background while I studied and wrote papers and it ended up being his two CDs. So I guess it would definitely be surprising for someone to find out that I know many of the lyrics to Justin Bieber's songs... I wasn't planning on sharing my most embarrassing secrets so early, but you guys are already getting them out of me! I don't know how you guys feel about Taylor Swift, but depending on whom you talk to, she could also be counted among my embarrassing musical tastes.

I think people are definitely surprised to hear about the musicians I secretly enjoy. At the risk of boasting, I think I generally have pretty good musical taste, so it comes as a surprise to people when they find out I also like the Jonas Brothers, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, etc. Oh, I also like Demi Lovato, but I don't consider her a guilty pleasure because her music, I think, is legitimately good. She doesn't belong in the Disney label at all.

My roommate Han said that people might be surprised to find out that I'm half Jewish. My dad's side of the family is all Jewish, but I'm technically not since in Judaism religion is passed on through the mother. In some reform synagogues, though, I could be considered Jewish. She also mentioned that it might be surprising to find out I'm an only child. I don't think this is too surprising. If you meet me and then find out I'm an only child I really don't think you'd be too surprised. I'm pretty reserved when I first meet someone and not too outgoing. The outgoingness comes out when I really get to know you.

Now onto my friend Heather. She said that my morbid, sinister sense of humor is surprising. I agree that I can have a very dark sense of humor and it's a characteristic of mine that probably isn't initially apparent. Sarcasm, of course, is part of this dark sense of humor. This is probably the best answer to the question of what surprises people to find out about me. I may look like an innocent, 20-something girl, but once you get to know me I'm very sarcastic and that sinister humor really comes out.

Oh, I just thought of something that is very surprising about me nerd-wise: I am not a Star Wars fan. Even I'm confused about this! By all rights I should love Star Wars. I love nerdy things, I love Star Trek, I love Doctor Who... I didn't even see the very first Star Wars movie until my freshman year of college and when I did watch it, I fell asleep halfway through. My boyfriend at the time and I watched it again a few months later and I stayed conscious throughout the whole thing, but I still wasn't pulled in like I thought I would be. I saw the second one last year, but I really don't remember much about it... the movies just haven't left an impression on me. I'm actually quite distressed by this because I really want to love Star Wars! I've been meaning to give it another chance. I'm going to try watching the first one alone and see what I think of it. Maybe it was the pressure to love it that I felt when watching it with my friends that got to me. I'll let you guys know.

Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone! My birthday was on the 27th and I spent most of the time working on my thesis. It was a good day though. My parents came up for dinner and my friend Kyle actually surprised me and gave me my birthday card. He goes to school about 1.5 hours away from U of M (University of Michigan, I don't know if I've mentioned exactly where I go to school yet), but he was in town to have dinner with his family so he stopped by. I was completely surprised and it made it a really nice birthday. Tomorrow will be my actual birthday/thesis-is-done celebration. Some of my best friends are visiting and we're all going to go out. I'm really looking forward to it.

Okay, onto the questions!

What is my favorite thing about the internet.... this is an unbelievably hard question. I love youtube, I love the memes, I love all the cats. I think that, overall, I'd have to say that I love meeting new people. Ever since the internet really became a household thing, around fourth or fifth grade, I think, I've loved it. I used to frequent those good ole AOL chat rooms when I was younger, though I stayed away from the predators. Once I became obsessed with Harry Potter, I was really drawn into the internet. I ran a Harry Potter rp with an online friend named Crystal, she was probably my first online friend. That's the thing I love about the internet, you can know people in other states and countries, people that could be on the other side of the world. I used to have my own personal website and there was a little social group of some girls who also ran sites that I knew. I sometimes still wonder what those girls are up to now. There was also livejournal and my livejournal friends. I actually still have my livejournal, but I haven't updated it in over a year. I had friends in Sweden, France, Massachusetts. Nerdfighteria is quite possibly the best example of this; people from all over the world come together and create an amazing community through the internet. This blog is the newest example of creating relationships online. So, yes, that is my favorite part of the internet- all the people I've met thanks to that initial dial-up connection (remember those dodooododoooeeeeee sounds?)

And now I have a question for all of you and I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner: what's your Hogwart's house? (Well, we know that Alexandra's in Slytherin, but what about the rest of you guys?)

1 comment:

  1. People might be surprised that you're actually Elvis, and have been masquerading as a young girl for the past 22 years.

    ReplyDelete