Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday's Time to D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL!

I ate about twenty cupcakes in the past week. My stomach is rebelling against me. It doesn't help that, just before I bought these cupcakes, I had all of my fillings removed (I am getting them replaced today, since they were cracked), so decade old cavities were exposed to sugar. Good stuff. At least we've picked a place for our wedding cupcakes (because cupcakes > cake).

@Cassie; Oh, I agree, I think it is simply a matter of perspective. Harry is our viewpoint character, so the Slytherins are near unanimously evil, or at least rather unpleasant. I don't really mind that fact; it is just how the stories are written. But I still like the Slytherins the best, even if we only see them as the slimy snakes Harry sees them as.

@Christina; Plane tickets. :P

Obsessions, eh? I don't know if I really have any, truth be told. I am a big fan of certain fandoms, certain authors, certain things. But Harry Potter hit me at a stage in my life where an obsession was something I really could have. I own a Slytherin tie, a Slytherin plushie, an engraved wooden plaque of the Hogwarts emblem, the $100 edition of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, all that. It lingers on from my nostalgia - I do the midnight shows, even though I am not as huge a fan as I once was. Most of the things I liked back then have also become far less of an interest to me. The only reason I know all of the original Pokémon is because I can remember the lyrics to any song I hear (I wonder if there is a word for that). Buffy the Vampire Slayer has only lingered in my heart because of Angel, which I liked later in my teenage years. I had a thing for BL manga (boy's love) that has near entirely faded. Aside from the rare spark of enthusiasm for Darkwing Duck or something similar, I rarely get that old feeling of obsession back save for two series. Harry Potter is the first; I've covered that. The second is Yu-Gi-Oh!

I hit this show up a bit later than I did Harry Potter. I think I would have been in 5th or 6th grade, so 10 or 11. I watched every episode that was out - about a season - and I kept up with it religiously every Saturday morning. The first good friend I had based on something other than geographical location (my previous best friends were twin sisters who lived next door) was met because she had a Yu-Gi-Oh! t-shirt on, and it turned out, she was also a gamer and Harry Potter nerd. The result of that friendship is quite a tale, one for another week. Yu-Gi-Oh! introduced me to anime, something I really loved in high school and still appreciate, if significantly less, to this day. It ran for several years, and once it ended, GX came out (a series that takes place in the future, with an academy to learn to play card games). After that, 5Ds (CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES). We are now on Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, which takes it a step further by using augmented reality. There were a few rather terrible movies and side series, as well. The first manga I ever owned was the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, the earliest season which never came to America (mostly because it had little to do with duel monsters, and instead featured death games and tabletop RPGs prominently). My decision to buy a new game console hinged on if a new Yu-Gi-Oh! game was out for it. I didn't buy a Gamecube or XBox until the systems came out with Yu-Gi-Oh! games, though the games on those systems were terrible. I owned a few tins worth of cards, had all the really powerful ones and all of my favorite sets. I still do own a good deal of them. And, of course, there is Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged.

The concept of the 'Abridged' series, now popular on YouTube, pretty much started with Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged (though I imagine it was inspired, in part, by Shakespeare Abridged). If one thing kept my love of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series going, it was comedy based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! series. Harry Potter had Potter Puppet Pals (and later A Very Potter Musical), Yu-Gi-Oh! had Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged. And it was, and still is, absolutely hilarious.

The long running series, the long running comedy web show, and the simple fact that - no matter how ridiculous the show got - the card game was bloody amazing and really fun to play kept me attached to Yu-Gi-Oh! past the time when I would have (perhaps should have) likely stopped caring. It was just unique. I have a good history with the series, and I continue to watch it and buy the cards and sometimes even the perpetually terrible video games. I don't even know why. I much prefer the Pokémon games and franchise as a whole, but I don't have that same attachment to it, the same nostalgia (an oddity, really, as Pokémon Yellow was the first game I ever called my own), or the same - well - obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment