Friday, August 5, 2011

Challenge Friday

This will need to be a quick post because I'm going to try to get up tomorrow for morning yoga at 6:30 (spoiler alert: I don't think it's going to happen), but nevertheless, I'm going to try so I need to go to bed!

It probably won't be a surprise that when I proposed this challenge I already had a charity in mind. I live in Ann Arbor, MI where the homeless population has been steadily increasing for the past few years. Streets that were void of homelessness just a couple years ago now have homeless people every block or so. It's really sad and I wish there were something I could do to help at least one person get back on their feet. However, as a poor new college graduate, I've never felt like there was much I could do that would directly affect someone's life. In the future when I have a steady, secure income I want to be more involved in helping the homeless, but in the meantime I decided to donate to a homeless shelter in the area. I found the Shelter Association of Washtenaw County (annarborshelter.org) which provides homeless shelters, food, and services to get people back in jobs and homes.

I'm sorry I don't have much else to say about it! Homelessness is something that, although I have no personal or familial experience with it, I really care about. I may not have an expendable income, but with how lucky I am (apartment, food, education...) how could I not help out people that don't have those luxuries? I just don't think I'd be able to live with myself. So yes, there's my charity!

(And also, Alexandra, yes I think it's totally fine if you don't blog the week of your wedding! And good luck/congratulations/BEST WISHES!)

No comments:

Post a Comment