Luckily for me, I had a lot of time on my hands a few weeks ago, so I prepared a blog for a JAB week, and now I finally get to use it!
I believe all of us who are writing this blog qualify as childreen of the nineties, and having recently watched Beauty and the Beast (Extended Edition) I was reminded of my childhood and wanted to share my favorite memories/fads from the nineties, or as I think of them, the most important years of my life.
1. Disney Animated Movies. I'm not sure when I saw my first Disney movie, which one it was, or whether or not it was in theaters, but I still feel an onrush of nostalgia whenever I view one of my beloved Disney classics (Especially Aladdin and The Lion King). Even though I now realize how silly Beauty and the Beast is (the story takes place in a week! At the most!), there is always The Lion King, which remains an epic of the grandest proportions. However, Disney declined pretty fast after its Rennaissance, and though The Princess and the Frog was alright, it just wasn't as good as the classics.
2. Gargoyles. Goliath was the coolest thing on TV, and if not him then Elisa Maza, who was definately the best TV cop ever. I'm even partial to Fox, and I even tried to get my parents to name my youngest sister after her. I recently finished watching all the episodes (except the non-canon season three) on Youtube, and enjoyed the familiarity of the episodes.
3. Gac. It was that sticky, oozy stuff that smelled like pizza fart and ruined carpets. Need more be said?
4. Jumanji. Remember the game that came out after the movie? My cousins got it for Christmas and my sister went to play it with them and I spazzed out and nearly went hysterical because I thought they were going to get sucked into the game. Effects are so much more amazing when I was a kid and unspoiled by WETA and the high quality CGI we see today (seriously, who were those monkeys fooling? Pamela Anderson's boob job looks more real than that!).
5. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie. The yellow ranger was my favorite, and the black ranger was the cutest. I hated both the pink ranger and the green/white ranger (I actually dated someone who met him though). I admit that it is a really silly movie, but I don't enjoy it any less for that. Please, I still love 80's music. Also, I still remember the names of the characters (after not watching the movie for at least a year). Aisha (Yellow), Adam (Black), Kimberly (Pink), Tommy (White/Green), Rocky (Red), and Will (Blue). Only one I'm not a hundred percent on is the blue ranger.
6. Boy Bands. I personally am a Backstreet Boys type of girl (loved The Call), and I flat out hated N*SYNC (except for Lance, which ended up being another fruitless crush, but whatever). You might have said that you hated them, but we all know how much we loved boy bands. Also, I want DuJour (from the Josie and the Pussycats movie) to be a real band. "Backdoor Lover" is so evilly full of clever and subtle innuendo that I want more of (plz can I haz moar?).
7. Shirt Bikinis. Back when I had nothing to show off and no modesty, the shirt bikini was the most stylish way to cool off and make curves that weren't there appear out of nowhere. I still do this in the privacy of my own home.
8. Barney. That's right, the big purple dinosaur Barney. Saying that you hate Barney is like saying you hate childhood and good morals. Barney taught acceptance and equality, and that imagination can take you anywhere you'd care to go. Dora, The Wiggles, Elmo, and the Teletubbies can all shove it where the sun don't shine 'cause no one can beat the Purple Dinosaur. Also, I just noticed that Barney's Theme is the to the tune of Yankee Doodle. Your mind = Blown.
I hope I have given you all a good dose of Nostalgia (Ozymandias is a genious, truly) and I ask, what's your favorite thing about the 90's?