Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday's going away for the weekend

Hello! I'm actually writing this post Thursday night because I'm going to be leaving tomorrow morning to spend the weekend in Lille with my friend Sarah who lives in Paris. She's never been to Lille and I haven't spent much time in Lille, so we're going to make a weekend of it! I'm excited to see the city and especially excited to spend the weekend in a hotel. I've always loved hotels. There's something very relaxing for me about not having to worry about the room. And generally the beds are bigger than the one I usually sleep in. :D

In France they have huge sales twice a year which are called Les Soldes ("The Sales"). The started this past Wednesday, a fact that Sarah and I had overlooked when we planned to be in Lille this weekend. It is going to be crazy. When I was there for the Christmas market in December you could hardly walk down the main roads, there were so many people. I can only imagine what it will be like with nearly every shop having blowout sales. Many of the shops here in Douai (a medium-sized town near Lille) are having 50% off sales, so I'm very excited to see the sales in Lille. I don't want to spend lots of money and I'm not the biggest fan of shopping, but I sure do love a good deal. (I can just hear friends reading this formulating jokes.)

I've been back in France for a little over a week now and things are going well now! The first six days or so were rough. First I was getting over jetlag which meant I was cranky about small things which seemed very big to me. A mix of jetlag and the angst of being separated again from family and friends is not a good combination, but after I got over that things very quickly started looking up. There's a café here in Douai called l'Equitable that I absolutely love and going there makes any day a great day. I've always wanted to be a regular at a coffee shop or café and now I can say I am! When I go in I know at least one person who's working there and I usually recognize some of the other customers too. L'Equitable is one of the things I'm really going to miss when I leave Douai. What else is new... Oh! In a break from my normal personality I went running yesterday. It was a really nice day (50 Fahrenheit or so) and I had a surplus of energy, so I did it and it was the first time I'd run outside and not felt like I was dying afterwards (I prefer running on treadmills). I felt really good afterwards; however, today it is so painful to walk. Anyway, I'm going to try to make it a habit to run or at least get exercise often. If the weather stays unseasonably warm like this that should make it easier. :)

Okay, I'm off to bed to get up early and head to Lille tomorrow, have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment